
Through the weekend of July 31st to August 2nd of 2009, inclement weather hit the outdoor music festival All Points West with droves of rain, transforming its venue, Liberty State Park, into a marshland. Stories following the event told of four hour waits for ferries to transport attendees from Manhattan to New Jersey, canceled performances, and minimal sets. And now a recent article by the New York Times reports the executives of AEG Live, the promoters of the festival, have yet to decide whether All Points West will return for a third year.
In the Times article, Mark Shulman, a talent buyer for AEG, claims the festival's biggest challenge right now is finding "suitable headliners." Yet Skip Paige, a vice president of AEG affiliate Goldenvoice believes that the overall tone of the festival must be revised for it to continue. "I don't know how great an experience it was for the fans," she admits to the Times. "If we're going to do that show again, we want to be able to make it great and have it be something people respect."
Popular and under the radar acts went on with their shows as fans waded the mud caked grass and cold rain to make the best of the weekend's unfortunate weather. Despite the downtrodden representation of the festival's conditions, some attendees didn't mind, and in fact, even embraced it with mud sliding and mud pools. Coldplay frontman Chris Martin even declared the site a "mud jacuzzi," praising the concert goers for their bravery and ability embrace the dirty venue.
"Honestly, I was rather aggravated," says Christopher Gloria of Brooklyn. "There were mud pits everywhere and it was impossible not to get filthy... I don't blame the park for that, I should have seen the pictures online from the day before, realized that it was going to be like that after such heavy rain. I just feel bad that so much of the turf was disturbed."
The hugest bystander to the mixture of large crowds and harsh weather was Liberty State Park, which on any other day boasts bright, inviting green fields through its 1,122 acres of space. But the mark of heavy footprints and mud piles became evidence to the 71,500 in attendance that weekend. The field, which normally hosts small scale recreational events, just was not used to such abuse. The park is considered the right venue for a New York City festival though, as its the only space of its kind nearby, while also having a front view seat of the Manhattan skyline.
Yet a third problem posed for attendees that weekend was the public park's policies on restricted drinking, which consisted of a specified area for consumption and a maximum of 7 drinks for any person. "Liberty State Park as a whole is a wonderful place," says Chris. "However, they are a bit ridiculous about drinking in the park, which adds to the overall dissatisfaction with the location...Jersey needs to lighten up! I mean it is not Altamont Speedway in 1969."
All recent speculation aside, many attendees from last year are mixed as to whether they would return to All Points West in 2010. "I am not for a festival for the sake of a festival," says Chris. "If a solid lineup isn't possible don't bother. It is not worth my time, or money. Living in the City I can see bands every night of the week. I'm not prepared for the trek, and [spend] money if the bands are not good. "
Having gone twice, Michael Duke of Brooklyn admits he would go again. "I would like APW to return in 2010, it's a great festival," he says. "I didn't mind going to Liberty State Park for the festival but wouldn't mind if it were somewhere else. For the size of the festival I can't think of many other places that would be suitable though."
AEG has booked a weekend for All Points West, but seeing as it is late in the year for any festival line-up announcements, music lovers can only wait and watch.
Photo Courtesy of BrooklynVegan.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment