Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Health Care Scare




Health care is something that most Americans take as a fundamental right of the modern era. Providing affordable or free health care for uninsured Americans would initially seem like a no brainier, with the only loser in the issue being the insurance companies who would see a lost in profit.

Universal health care is a term that has been thrown around on the 24 hour news networks by doctors and politicians as a means of describing the direction U.S. health care is going.

Canada, The United Kingdom and France all have systems which can be considered universal health care. In the U.S. it has been said by members of the right that following suit would lead to a degradation of the quality of health care of the nation. "UHC Doctors I find are often better than private doctors, you do have to wait in lines and on waiting lists but it isn't all that bad, it works" said Michael Sardo, 21 a London, England native studying abroad in the United States at FIT. "Needs a lot of work but think its great. After living in America I will never complain about it again."

On March 23rd I suddenly found myself in need of health care in a period of my life where whether I'm eligible or if my policy is even sufficient was up for grabs. A typical falling accident sent me to the emergency room with concerns that I might of fractured a bone. I entered Kings County Hospitals emergency room armed with university provided health insurance expecting to be promptly seen and ran through a series of tests. What I expected to be an hour surrounded by fellow patients with various degrees of ailments and injuries turned into a 4 hour episode of absolute boredom and serious concern for whether I would be seen at all.

In the case of one women who died on the floor of the same emergency room last June as security guards, patients and nurses sat by, this was all to true. Health care is not so much decided by who makes the decisions at the capital as much as it is dependent on the actions of all employees of any particular facility from the Janitors, to the Brain Surgeons.

No comments:

Post a Comment