Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Food-Carts


Ever wonder what’s really inside these food-carts that New Yorkers are so fond of?

“With the chaos and rush hours of a long work day in the city, these food cart vendors are not only close and convenient but their food isn’t that bad,” says Marian Whitney resident of New Jersey but works in Manhattan.

Department of Health and Mental Hygiene issues as many as 3,100 licenses for mobile food units. I’ve always subconsciously wondered how the vendors are actually reviewed or if they’re even inspected. I’ve only recently discovered that my subliminal desire emerged and transformed into this intense yearning to find out due to an unfortunate incident. It wasn’t a week ago that my purchase for Chicken over Rice at a food-cart was regurgitated within two hours of my digesting it. My research has confirmed that I am not the only one who’s experienced such a disturbance as this. Apparently 10 out of the 10 people I’ve surveyed has suffered and experienced the same occurrence as I, from the result of naively believing these food-vendors serve anything remotely edible.


In my attempt to investigate and collect some sort of incriminating evidence against these soiled repulsive food-carts, I came in contact with a Manhattan vendor who disclosed information that would definitely warrant an arrest. Q: “Can you divulge the process of inspection if any?” A: “The usual inspections happen when we renew our permits, but now the renewals can be handled through the mail now. This makes it much easier to get away with.” This exclusive only substantiates my original notion that these vendors are a health hazard. What are they really serving us? I wonder.


1 comment:

  1. Forgive my lateness. The lack of information is due to my time constraints. I would love to add more to this story, I just wanted to post something..

    ReplyDelete