What’s a snow day without a walk outside? Relaxing, that’s what. But probably not as fun… I geared up Wednesday to face “Snowmageddon,” the storm sequence that brutally assaulted the majority of the East Coast this past week, leaving New York with between 10 and 15 inches of snow (depending on the borough). Day off, ton of snow, and camera in hand, I set out to capture some of Brooklyn’s blizzard-y behavior.
I hadn’t been out of the house for more than a minute when Prospect Heights resident Colin McGrath sped down the sidewalk– on skis. Clearly this needed documentation. "Can we do an action shot?" Colin suggested with a smirk, and I was more than happy to oblige.
I trudged through the snow-filled sidewalks (a bit less prepared than Colin) and quickly sought refuge in one of Prospect Park's pedestrian tunnels. There I met Tori, who was taking time out of the direct snow to practice her juggling, of snowballs, which was pretty damn impressive. "I learned how when I lived in San Francisco, it's huge there," Tori explained with a smile, still weaving the ice chunks in the air.
Then, braving the elements, I entered the park, by now a sledder and snowman’s paradise. At this point, my camera was in dire need of some tlc (drenched, snow clumped, battery dying) so I snagged a few shots of what felt like the world’s largest snowman and attempted to go directly home. Forty minutes of waddling around the park searching for landmarks later, I finally found an exit. Next stop (another forty minutes away): couch, beer, blanket. You might expect the most impressive snow day escapade I encountered came to me, as I was trying to tune out the blizzard. I put The Pixies on pause, sat on my windowsill, and got an aerial shot of this epic snowball fight on Underhill Avenue. Here’s a mashup of these bits of footage I got. And please, remind me to stay in next snowpacolypse, snowmageddon, or snowperbowl. . .
No comments:
Post a Comment