



Groupon was started in November 2008 as part of The Point, which is platform for collective action. Groupon is backed by private investors as well as New Enterprise Associates. Businesses that are featured on Groupon will only have to pay a marketing fee if their campaign is successful. The reason behind starting something like Groupon was to make it easier for people to enjoy the things in their community. The way it works is by offering daily deals at a low cost through the power of group buying.
Recently, Groupon decided to create a contest called, “Live Off Groupon For One Year,” where the winner will live and travel entirely off of the groupons they receive, blog about it, and upon completing the year will win $100,000. Out of the 200 people who entered, 5 remain. I recently got a chance to talk to one of the finalists, Ross Cook-Golesh a 22-year-old butcher and artist from Denver Colorado. Here is what he had to say.
Q. How did you find out about this?
A. My mom actually sent me an email about it. At first I applied because I was like, ah I have nothing better to do but as I started looking more into it I got really excited and realized this is really something I would love to do. Then I sent in my video and the rest is history.
Q. Tell me about this contest and what you will be doing?
A. I will live for one year purely on "Groupons" and I will blog, take pictures, travel, and basically rough it the entire time. Upon completion of the year I will win $100,000, which I will use to earn Journalism and Photography degrees.
Q. What would this mean for you?
A. Well, I would have to give up my apartment, clothes, and close my bank account. I would not have any cash on me what so ever.
Q. How does that actually play out? Is that even possible to live with nothing?
A. Groupon starts you off with a stack of Groupons and a suit of Groupons that you have to wear in order to get new clothes. But after that the company provides you all of the groupons you would need. They have deals that range from food, to hotels, to skydiving so really all things are covered.
Q. What about the essentials? Toiletries?
A. I mean some of that you can find at hotels or whatever, and other times I can barter. I can be like, I need toothpaste, can I give you this groupon for a manicure as a trade or something like that.
Q. What do you think it was about you that got the people from Groupons attention?
A. You know, I don’t think that it is just that I have nothing to do with my life, I want to be a photojournalist and this is a huge opportunity for me. I can build a portfolio and I want to use the money to go to school. It’s more of a goal and a life I am trying to create for myself, I don’t just want to win money and have a good time.
No comments:
Post a Comment