The answer is no... probably.

The West Side Highway, currently stretching from West 72nd St to the Southmost end of Manhattan, was originally an elevated highway when its construction began in 1929. The highway was finished in 1951, but after quickly falling into disrepair, was closed in 1973 when a dump truck followed by a four door sedan fell through the crumbling highway. Robert Moses' finger print on the project involves the Henry Hudson Parkway, which becomes the West Side Highway after 72nd Street. Moses built the Parkway as part of an effort he called "West Side Improvement." The Parkway was completed on October 12, 1937. According to Wikipedia, the Parkway "cost $109 million, twice as expensive as the $49 million Hoover Dam that was built in the same period."
Because the HHP connects to the West Side Highway, the two are often mistaken for one another. Having made the same mistake, I took a walk down the Highway in good faith that whatever I saw would somehow reflect what I knew about Robert Moses. Though in fact Moses has nothing to do with WSH directly, he might have agreed with the architectural style of the public peers and designated paths for joggers and bicyclists. The Highway's park style is indeed, lovely, and well used by all manner of pedestrian.
I pass by a crew of skateboarders sliding over shallow sets of outdoor steps. The elderly walk their dogs. Parents walk their kids. When the weather turns warm, the peers and lawns will be full of sunbathers and hustlers. Meanwhile, the view of Hudson River sparkles after dusk from the lights of Jersey City and passing boat life.

I doubt very much that Moses would be pleased with the personality of the Highway across the street, away from the park. As hinted in my hilarious title, the commercial side of the West Side Highway is awash with tittie bars and suspicious looking car washes. Then I passed by Rib. I sarcastically thought to myself, Oh no! They closed Rib.
By the look of it, Rib was probably a diner. I would've liked to eat there were it open. I would've asked for the rib. The resturaunt was nothing to speak of anymore. According to the sticker still in its front window, Rib was Zagat rated. Of course it was.
I keep walking until I hit a porno store called West World. West World connects to a strip club around the corner where I spot a Hassidic Jew leaving through the glass doors. I wasn't fast enough with my camera, so there's no picture to prove it. But I saw him, and I'm willing to talk.
Anyway, from the corner of West World, I bequeath Robert Moses his Radiant City Beautiful Super Highway Park. It wasn't his, but why not give him credit? Tell me a better Robert Moses epitaph.

No comments:
Post a Comment